A comprehensive AS and A-level History text on Europe in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries, written by experienced teachers who are also examiners.
Includes historical interpretations, document source questions, explanation of difficult words and concepts and a study skills section for exam preparation.
1) Europe 1870-1991
: a synoptic assessment
2) The Consolidation of Russian Conservatism 1855-1894
3) Germany under Bismarck 1871-1890
4) Wilhelmine Germany, 1888-1918
5) The Crisis of Russian Autocracy 1894-1914
6) The Causes and Course of the First World War
7) The Russian Revolution 1917-1924
8) The USSR under Stalin 1924-1941
9) Italy 1870-1943
10) Germany, 1918-1945
11) The Twenty Years Truce: International Relations, 1919-1939
12) The Second World War
13) Europe and the Cold War, 1945-1991
14) The Development of Western Europe, 1945-1991
Synoptic chapter - Europe 1870-1989; the consolidation of Russian conservatism 1855-1894; Germany under Bismarck 1871-1890; the Third French Republic; the crisis of Russian aristocracy, 1894-1917; Germany and Austria-Hungary 1890-1914; the causes and course of World War I; Russia in revolution, 1917-1924; the USSR under Stalin 1924-1953; democracy in crisis between the wars - France, Spain, Hungary, Poland; Italy 1870-1945; Germany 1918-1945; international relations 1919-1945; World War II; the Cold War; the move to Western European Union.