One of the five books in the Mental Health and Wellbeing Teacher Toolkit for teachers and other professionals working with children, this practical resource focuses on the topic of 'Emotional Literacy
' and how to support children and young people on a journey of self-discovery where they learn to recognise, understand, share and manage a range of emotions. Promoting a proactive rather than a reactive approach to dealing with the social and emotional aspects of learning and managing the world of today, Emotional Literacy
addresses the increasing number of mental health issues arising among young people. Chapters span key topics including Recognising Emotions, Understanding Emotions, Self-Regulation and Empathy. This book offers:
* Easy to follow, and flexible, lesson plans that can be adapted and personalised for use in lessons or smaller groups or 1:1 work.
* Resources that are linked to the PSHE and Wellbeing curriculum for KS1, KS2 and KS3.
* New research, 'Circles for Learning', where the introduction of baby observation into the classroom by a teacher is used to understand and develop self-awareness, skills for learning, relationships, neuroscience and awareness of others.
* Sections on the development of key skills in communication, skills for learning, collaboration, empathy and self-confidence.
* Learning links, learning objectives and reflection questions.
Offering research-driven, practical strategies and lesson plans, Emotional Literacy
is an essential resource book for educators and health professionals looking to have a positive impact on the mental health and wellbeing of the children in their care; both now and in the future.
Recognising Emotions: What is an Emotion?; Recognising Emotions; Understand Facial Expressions; Listening to Body Language; Strong Emotions: Anger; Strong Emotions: Sad; How Emotions Impact on the way we Behave; The Chemicals of Emotions; The 60 minute Rule; Understanding Emotions: Thoughts Feelings Actions; Coping Strategies Part 1; Coping Strategies Part 2; Coping Strategies Part 3 Using Positive Memories; Coping Strategies Part 4 We can do It; Jellie Babies - Looking After another; Listen to Your Body; Self Awareness: Self Esteem: What we Believe About Ourselves; Self Limiting Beliefs; Exploring Ourselves; Get to Know your Own Best Friend; Thoughts Feelings Actions: Thinking Errors; Thoughts Feelings Actions: Self Limiting Beliefs; Givers Takers Nourishers and Thieves; Dealing With The Inner Critic; My Exhibition of Very Special Moments; Thoughts Worries and Preoccupations; Your Own Best Friend; The Future and How to Make it Happen; Your Internal Critic V Your Inner Champion; Let's Celebrate You Are Unique; My Photo Album; Life Journey and Reframing; Past Present and Future; Self Regulation: Strategies that can help us; Strategies that can help us manage strong emotions; The Emotional Alarm System; Meditation on the Soles of My Feet; A Sensory Safari; Empathy: Mirror Neurons; Someone Else in Mind; Think About the Needs of Another