This two-volume textbook provides a comprehensive overview on the broad field of Animal Biotechnology with a special focus on livestock reproduction and breeding. The reader will be introduced to a variety of state-of-the-art technologies and emerging genetic tools and their applications in animal production. Also, ethics and legal aspects of animal biotechnology will be discussed and new trends and developments in the field will be critically assessed. The two-volume work is a must-have for graduate students, advanced undergraduates and researchers in the field of veterinary medicine, genetics and animal biotechnology.
This first volume mainly focuses on artificial insemination, embryo transfer technologies in diverse animal species and cryopreservation of oocytes and embryos.
Animal Biotechnology 1
1. Evolution of animal breeding and animal biotechnology H. Niemann and R.F. Seamark
2. Future Agricultural Animals: The Need for Biotechnology G. Seidel
3. Artificial insemination in domestic and wild animal species D. Waberski
4. Technique and Application of Sex Sorted Sperm in Domestic Farm Animals D. Rath and C. Maxwell
5. ET-technologies in domestic cattle G. Bo and R Mapletoft
6. ET-technology in small ruminants S. Ledda and A. Gonzalez-Bulnes
7. ET-technology in domestic pigs C. Youngs
8. ET-technologies in horses H. Sieme, J. Rau, D. Tiedemann, H. Oldenhof, L. Barros, R. Sanchez, M. Blanco, G.Martinsson, C. Herrera, D. Burger
9. Endoscopy in Cattle Reproduction V. Havlicek, G. Brem, U. Besenfelder
10. Transvaginal ultrasound-guided oocyte retrieval (OPU: Ovum Pick-Up) in cows and mares P. Bols and T. Stout
11. Preservation of Gametes and Embryos A. Arav and J. Saragusty
12. In vitro production of farm animal embryos C. Wrenzycki