This two-volume textbook provides a comprehensive overview on the broad field of Animal Biotechnology with a special focus on livestock reproduction and breeding. The reader will be introduced to a variety of state-of-the-art technologies and emerging genetic tools and their applications in animal production. Also, ethics and legal aspects of animal biotechnology will be discussed and new trends and developments in the field will be critically assessed. The two-volume work is a must-have for graduate students, advanced undergraduates and researchers in the field of veterinary medicine, genetics and animal biotechnology.
This second volume is dedicated to genetic tools in animal biotechnology such as somatic cloning, transgenic technologies and the application of stem cells in livestock breeding. Also, ethics and legal aspects are discussed.
Animal Biotechnology 2
1. Somatic cloning of livestock by Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer K. Bondioli 2. Commercial Applications of SCNT in Livestock M. Walton
3. Epigenetic features of animal biotechnologies N. Beaujean
4. Current status of genomic maps, genomic selection/GBV in livestock A. Blasco and R.N. Pena
5. Embryo Biopsies for Genomic Selection E. Mullaart and D. Wells
6. Production of transgenic livestock - Overview of transgenic technologies G. Laible
7. DNA-nucleases and their use in livestock production B. Petersen
8. Regulatory dysfunction inhibits the development and application of Transgenic Livestock for use in Agriculture J. Murray and E. Maga
9. Genetically engineered large animals in biomedicine E. Wolf, A. Kind, B. Aigner, A. Schnieke
10. Stem cells and cell conversion in livestock F. Gandolfi and T. Brevini
11. The Legal Governance of Animal Biotechnologies N. Hoppe
12. Ethical aspects of animal biotechnology D. Lanzerath
13. Public perception of animal biotechnology A. van Eenennaam and A. Young